Client City of Tshwane
Location City of Johannesburg, Gauteng
Project Value R300 million
Biogas to Electrical Energy
Zitholele Consulting was appointed as consultant for the JW Biogas to Energy Project. This project will provide biogas scrubbing and combined heat and power (CHP) installations on five of JW’s wastewater treatment works (WwTW). Biogas from the existing anaerobic digester installations will be scrubbed / cleaned before being fed to the CHP units, which will generate electricity for onsite consumption as well as waste heat which will be used to heat the anaerobic digesters.
Scope of Services
The scope of the project includes the following:
- Research on biogas scrubbing and CHP equipment
- Anaerobic digester installation optimization
- Anaerobic digester modelling and biogas predictions
- Preliminary design and layout for each site
- Tender documentation for each site (Design, build, operate and maintain type contracts)
- Site supervision and contract administration
- Operation and maintenance administration
Special Features and Challenges
This Project will provide the first full scale biogas to energy installation on a WwTW in South Africa incorporating sludge treatment for increased biogas production, extensive biogas scrubbing and CHP equipment to produce electricity for onsite consumption and waste heat return for heating of the anaerobic digesters.